The model must stand still on the ground with engine(s)/motor(s) running and without being held by a helper or stooge, except for ½ A Scale. The flaps are positioned at the takeoff angle (when applicable). As the throttle or motor speed is advanced, the model should roll smoothly at an increasing realistic speed along the ground, then rise smoothly into the air, followed by a gradual climb to and smooth leveling off above High Normal Flight Level. Landing gear is retracted upon lift off (when applicable). As the model reaches Normal Flight Level, the flaps are retracted (when applicable). The type and length of takeoff run and the angle of climb should correspond to the modeled aircraft. Distances for takeoff are suggested and may differ based on local site conditions and scale of the model.
- Beginning and ending of maneuver were not called out.
- The unassisted model does not remain stationary at the start of the maneuver.
- Takeoff acceleration and roll not smooth.
- Tail wheel or nose wheel not lifting off correctly.
- Climb erratic.
- Climb not consistent with aircraft.
- Level off not smooth.
- Level off not above High Normal Flight Level.